4.7.09

Taking Care of Business.

Photos forthcoming.

But in the meantime, my first stint as an Elvis impersonator was an unqualified success. People were laughing, smiling, taking pictures -- I even got to autograph a scarf. The most surreal moment, though, was after the main performance, when a fellow came up to shake my hand. And then... a curious thing. He asked me what my name was.

A split second before I said "Denton", I stopped.

"Delvis Fresley. Pleased to meet you, sir."

He smiled. "The Real Elvis?"

"It's an honour to be here." (I guess I mumbled a bit too much. It worked in my advantage here, though.)

It is true, though -- when you put on that sequined jumpsuit, it's almost impossible not to fall into character. And it's even harder to act like yourself. That jumpsuit unlocks a wave of energy, and all you have to do is let your Inner Elvis pick up his surfboard. After that, It's all smiles and sunglasses.

Although not entirely... I did freak out one young boy -- and he acted in much the same way I did when I was his age, and at a Klingon exhibit in Las Vegas. (Always Vegas.) And I did get booed by one group of young ladies after they asked me to sing a song. But you know what? I suspect that they had already decided to boo me long before they asked. Fatalism works both ways, I guess.

I still had to paddle, though, which means that I am about to drop from exhaustion. But before that, one final observation:

Scarves are awesome. Swing them, drape them, spin around... I think they just replaced capes as my #1 male fashion accessory in sore need of a comeback.

All right. Time to get ready for the B Divison Final tomorrow. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

losemymouth said...

Bets blog post ever. Wish i could've seen it!

About The Author

My photo

Canadian explorer. Chemist by training, biologist by nature. Long-time supporter and participant in National Novel Writing Month. Known as "Aquadeo" in most Internet circles. Also known as "that guy with the pants" to people who have seen me in certain pants.