3.5.07

High Fashion.

Today, I booted up the ol' ATR/IR for the first time all year. The background scans were clean, and everything was well-aligned, but I still wanted to test it before we had to depend on its data. So, with a little bit of care, I was able to put a fold of my Hawaiian shirt into the the sampling area.

Now, the IR's library matching software doesn't tell you what the sample is, or what it's made of; it tells you how close it is to everything else it has in its library. Our library, naturally, has a wide variety of household chemicals, industrial chemicals, toxic chemicals, and "other" chemicals. Where would my shirt fit in?

Out of the Top 20 matches, it's (1) a 90% correlation for polyester.

And (2) a 52% match for cocaine.

Looks like that shirt isn't so much "psychedelic" as it is "stimulating".

No comments:

About The Author

My photo

Canadian explorer. Chemist by training, biologist by nature. Long-time supporter and participant in National Novel Writing Month. Known as "Aquadeo" in most Internet circles. Also known as "that guy with the pants" to people who have seen me in certain pants.