10.4.07

I'm a lover, not a fighter.

I know there's a lot of bad karma surrounding Alberta drivers, but when I was driving to Edmonton this weekend, one driver smiled and gave me a big ol' thumbs up as I passed him. That's got to count for something.

Conversely, I'm sure someone out there is putting the following in their blog: "I know there's a lot of bad karma surrounding Alberta drivers, but when I was driving to Edmonton this weekend, one driver was totally rocking -- even spazzing out to Pixies on his CD player as he passed me. That's got to count for something."

And it's true -- MJ lent me a Pixies CD last week, and I'm hooked. It's a little embarrassing to admit it, however. That band was cool precisely when I was the ideal age to care about cool bands (Denton_1987 = uncool), and liking them now, I fear that I'm grouping myself with baby boomers who still remember The Day The Music Died. Behold the grim and terrible truth of retro: pull back the facade of irony, and it's just another term for "golden oldie".

The only chance is to keep on going; pull back the facade of nostalgia (easier in my case, since I never liked them in '87), and the good music is still good. As for Pixies, they're not just good; they're gnarly.

That wasn't my only foray into 80s music this week. There was also my Tae Kwon Do class this evening. A senior student was showing some others how to sweep their foot back more effectively, and I was struck by a realisation:

That's how you do the moonwalk.

In other words, today was a very good day.

No comments:

About The Author

My photo

Canadian explorer. Chemist by training, biologist by nature. Long-time supporter and participant in National Novel Writing Month. Known as "Aquadeo" in most Internet circles. Also known as "that guy with the pants" to people who have seen me in certain pants.