10.4.07

I'm a lover, not a fighter.

I know there's a lot of bad karma surrounding Alberta drivers, but when I was driving to Edmonton this weekend, one driver smiled and gave me a big ol' thumbs up as I passed him. That's got to count for something.

Conversely, I'm sure someone out there is putting the following in their blog: "I know there's a lot of bad karma surrounding Alberta drivers, but when I was driving to Edmonton this weekend, one driver was totally rocking -- even spazzing out to Pixies on his CD player as he passed me. That's got to count for something."

And it's true -- MJ lent me a Pixies CD last week, and I'm hooked. It's a little embarrassing to admit it, however. That band was cool precisely when I was the ideal age to care about cool bands (Denton_1987 = uncool), and liking them now, I fear that I'm grouping myself with baby boomers who still remember The Day The Music Died. Behold the grim and terrible truth of retro: pull back the facade of irony, and it's just another term for "golden oldie".

The only chance is to keep on going; pull back the facade of nostalgia (easier in my case, since I never liked them in '87), and the good music is still good. As for Pixies, they're not just good; they're gnarly.

That wasn't my only foray into 80s music this week. There was also my Tae Kwon Do class this evening. A senior student was showing some others how to sweep their foot back more effectively, and I was struck by a realisation:

That's how you do the moonwalk.

In other words, today was a very good day.

No comments: