29.3.07

Maybe it's because I'm from Moose Jaw.

You know, there's so much that's just magically right with "Banditos" by The Refreshments, that it honestly doesn't matter what the rest of the album is like. Especially when that album is called "Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy". I could hate puppies more easily than I could hate that album title.

Anyway, today was a good day at work, chiefly because we finally resolved a long-standing issue. You see, the greenhouse has two people named Michael. This is bad enough in relation to the thirteen Michaels I already know, but what's even worse is that neither Michael will accept being addressed by their last names. I had asked about middle names already, with unenthusiastic results. However, inspiration struck over the lunch hour.

"Your middle name starts with a J, right?"

"Yeah... so?"

"Well, that's perfect, then! M.J.!"

"MJ?" His voice was drenched in sarcasm. "As in, Oh-I-love-you-Spider-Man?"

"No, it could be Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson... it's already confirmed as Michael-friendly!" He still wasn't buying it. "Besides," I pressed, "don't you love Spider-Man?"

His uncomfortable silence was as confirmational as it was entertaining. Also, it marks the first time I've actually been grateful that English doesn't have more than one word for "love".

MJ it is. I love it.

Incidentally, I'll be in the wilds of British Columbia this weekend. Wish me luck, and I'll see you Sunday.

No comments: