11.12.06

Why I don't shop at Costco.

It's been a while since I made garlic bread at home, and I had just gotten back from the video store with the conclusion to a much-anticipated cliffhanger. So, while waiting for the titles, disclaimers, and piracy warnings to finish their spiel, I whipped up a few slices of the stuff, and then sat down for some quality vegetation.

Isn't it an odd sensation when you realise, as soon as you've bitten off the first piece, that you're not even going to bother with a test chew? I've never had garlic go rancid on me before, but it's not the sort of thing you don't notice.

It's funny, though. I'd been cooking with that jar of crushed garlic just last week. Actually, that'd be last month, now that I think about it. But it was fine, even though I always load up on all other sorts of sauces in a stir-fy. Still, I'd checked the inside for growths, and given it a test sniff. It was hard to understand. That garlic hadn't given me a lick of trouble since I bought it -- in fact, it was the first grocery item I ever purchased in Grande Prairie!

... which might actually be the problem, now that I think about it.

Ah, well. At least I had the foresight to use fresh cloves whenever I had company.

No comments: