10.12.06

I draw the line at buzzwords.

And so ends the 2006 Ottawa expedition. As always, I love visiting the city, and it's always good to see old friends. As for the training itself...

It was a fun time, and I met some really nice people... However, was it worth it? No, of course not. Did I gain a new respect for my job? None I didn't have already. Did I learn anything useful to my job? Nope. Did I learn anything useful at all? Nothing that can't be gleaned from a day of idly surfing everything the government's already built for that purpose.

Did it make me a more effective public servant? Surprisingly, yes.

My options were simple. Either I learn something from this mandatory course, or I don't. One option makes the program a total waste, the other doesn't. So, even though I didn't learn anything particularly motivating, I am going to make myself work harder than usual this Monday.

I guess it's a lesson learned through bad example.

No comments:

About The Author

My photo

Canadian explorer. Chemist by training, biologist by nature. Long-time supporter and participant in National Novel Writing Month. Known as "Aquadeo" in most Internet circles. Also known as "that guy with the pants" to people who have seen me in certain pants.