17.10.06

A new term has been born:
The pudding-cup band.

Here's an odd number: Hunt's Snack Pack Pudding. It's found its way into my brown bag lunch before, but there was a twist this time: It was Lemon Meringue Flavour. It consisted of a lemony-yellow base, and a meringuey-white topping. My hopes were high -- who wouldn't want a little slice of lemon meringue pie to carry with them? I dipped into the meringue first... and I was taken aback.

This stuff is firm. Cut-it-with-a-knife-and-lift-out-a-cube firm. As I pulled out the spoon, I could see the foamy white bubbles glistening. For squeezing something like this into a pudding cup, I was impressed. Then I took a bite... and I was taken aback further. Taken afront, even.

It tasted like lemon pie filling.

Digging deeper, I tried out the "lemony" portion of the cup. It had a smooth, pudding-like texture, but it also tasted like lemon pie filling. It was tasty pie filling, don't get me wrong, but that's still not something I'm comfortable with. When I order a hot dog, do I want the bun to taste like a weiner? Yeah, keep thinking about that... it doesn't get any better, does it?

Actually, this pudding cup is a good analogy for modern culture... It's got a brand-new look, and a different feel, in order to attract new customers, but it still leaves the same taste in your mouth.

1 comment:

Denton said...

Full disclosure: I came up with the analogy, but my co-worker Mike was the one to start using "pudding-cup" as an adjective.

About The Author

My photo

Canadian explorer. Chemist by training, biologist by nature. Long-time supporter and participant in National Novel Writing Month. Known as "Aquadeo" in most Internet circles. Also known as "that guy with the pants" to people who have seen me in certain pants.