28.10.09

Lights! Camera! Popcorn!

It's time to raise the curtain,
It's time to light the lights,
It's time to get things started,
It's the Monarch's Opening Night!

It's been a busy couple of weeks, and during that time, I had the distinct privilege of picking gum off of 410 theatre seats. (Some committee members bring organization, networking, fundraising opportunities, and business savvy to the board; I bring other skills.) But at long last, the ceilings were painted, the bathroom sinks renovated, and the bare minimum of food safety requirements met.

Everything was as ready as it could be, there was nothing left to do but open the doors and see who would walk in. It was a gala event in the finest, with all the good members of the populace decked out in their formal apparel. I must admit, when it comes to black-tie crowds, I've never been much of a schmoozer. But this time, I tried to make an effort. And so, when one lady in a sparking blue gown came up to me, I straightened my hat and put on my best smile.

Ten seconds later, while gesturing to indicate the scope of the renovations, I clotheslined a concession clerk carrying a tray of popcorn. Kernels went everywhere, almost reaching the press photographers standing nearby. Fortunately, they were paying keen attention, and didn't let the mess obscure any of their pictures.

The lady in the blue evening gown wandered off immediately, but by the end of the evening, I'd volunteered to help sweep up another two (unrelated) popcorn spills, and I was good friends with most of the staff.

Like I said, I'm not a black-tie schmoozer, but I've got my strengths.

I must admit, I'm not really sure if that was the hard part or the easy part. Sure, we had to overcome insurmountable odds in order to get the place open, but now we've got any number of day-to-day crises on our hands.

Whatever it is, though, it's going to be fun.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a late showing of "Vertigo" to attend.

1 comment:

Laina said...

Oh Denton. I can picture that clotheslining event so well.