26.4.08

Out of the Garden of Madness.

Well, I did take pictures, but there's not much about a collection of long-distance, low-light shots that make them worth sharing. Sorry. However, once you've seen Team Rocket try to capture Red XIII (of Final Fantasy VII) by throwing a katamari at it, it's hard to imagine the picture that would have done that costume contest justice.

Second highlight of the costumes: The fellow dressed as Indiana Jones who didn't just bring a whip, but could actually crack it. Rather terrifying, until we realised that unlike the real Dr. Jones, he wasn't making it up as he went along.

Most obscure costume: The final season of "Reboot"? Seriously?

"The Spirit of Cosplay" award: The man was about fifty years old. He was forty kilograms overweight. At least 10% of that weight was in his jowls. He wasn't an ideal Batman, and he knew it. That's why he was a perfect Adam West. Easily one of the crowd favourites (not counting the five-year-old Iron Man).

I wanted to see fandom at its finest, and I was not disappointed.

What did disappoint me? I'll get to that tomorrow.

2 comments:

Joe said...

I really wanted to go, but I wasn't in Calgary until Saturday late in the afternoon. I had bought a ticket in advance for Sunday, but apparently all the trains were down that day, so I couldn't really get there.

Denton said...

Too bad! I heartily recommend it for you next year, though -- I kept on looking twice at people to make sure they weren't you or Crystal.

About The Author

My photo

Canadian explorer. Chemist by training, biologist by nature. Long-time supporter and participant in National Novel Writing Month. Known as "Aquadeo" in most Internet circles. Also known as "that guy with the pants" to people who have seen me in certain pants.