29.4.08

Out of the Garden of Madness II.

Okay, this didn't disappoint me (that post is coming later), but this was definitely the most awkward moment at the Calgary Expo:

One of the visitors that day was a mentally handicapped young woman, who was posing with everybody in a costume while her friend/caregiver took pictures. She didn't know who Batman was, but she was having a great time, nonetheless.

At one point, another woman was walking by, wearing an "Aliens" T-shirt. It was pretty nifty, actually: there was actually a vinyl model of a "chestburster" sewn on to the front, with the graphic of a busted rib cage all around it. The first woman saw this and cried out. At first, I thought, "uh oh. Imminent trauma." But instead, it was a cry of joy.

"Baby! Baby!", she said, while petting the alien head gently.

The look on the T-shirt owner's face was one which I will quite possibly never see again. My friends, you can invite me to all the high society dinners you please, and I shall nevermore fear for saying the wrong thing; for I have now seen the true face of awkward.

2 comments:

TilJ said...

Pure. Gold.

TilJ said...

Stands the test of time too, I don't know how many times I've come back to read this entry and show it to people.

About The Author

My photo

Canadian explorer. Chemist by training, biologist by nature. Long-time supporter and participant in National Novel Writing Month. Known as "Aquadeo" in most Internet circles. Also known as "that guy with the pants" to people who have seen me in certain pants.