16.1.08

The Man From Earth Who Fell.

Two weeks ago, I wrote about my stargazing adventure, and how I couldn't identify any constellations besides the Dippers and Orion. Well, I'm also 90% confident that Cassiopeia looks like a "W"... but there are an awful lot of W's out there. I know it's not Draco, though. Draco's more of a zig-zag than a W.

As you can see, I'm not going to be navigating the Pacific trade winds any time soon. I can live with that, though.

At least, I could. I was chatting with a doctor at work today, and after my meteor-hunting story, he mentioned the last time he took his three-year-old daughter out to see the stars.

"Now, she knows a few objects, but not too many," he explained. "For example, she can point out Venus. But," he humbly added, "I'm pretty sure she's just looking for the brightest thing in the sky."

"Ah," I said. "Of course."

I decided not to mention that that's how I find Venus in the sky.

And so, my new challenge begins. It should be fun... I just wish that I had more goals in life that weren't inspired by besting three-year-olds.

No comments: