13.10.06

Why a blog?

The Labville mailing list has been going for eight years now, and it's like a blog in many respects. I feel guilty when I haven't updated in a while. I deliberately avoid talking about stories when I want to write about them later. And, of course, I often fantasize of a vast readership.

So why should I make it into a blog now?

For one thing, I want to keep my security sheet clean at work. I figured that if my stories are broadcast far and wide over the Internet, I'll have no choice but to watch what I say. Or at the very least, I'll get the cease-and-desist order from Ottawa long before I cross the line.

Next, NaNoWriMo. I certainly don't expect anyone to read what I write this November, but the idea still appeals to me. Besides, NaNoWriMo is all about learning something by diving right in, and I haven't played with web sites since frames were a new feature (Not that I'll be fiddling with the template anytime soon).

Finally, I've realised that e-mail isn't the best format for long-winded storytellers such as myself. This format's a little more legible, and I also have more control over the line formatting. It always broke my heart a little when someone
would reply, and I'd see that they received my e-mail looking like
this.

Hopefully, this will be a little more fun for everyone. With that said... Welcome to the new Labville!

1 comment:

bernie said...

Congrats to Labville! Vive Labville and welcome to a new day in its evolution!

About The Author

My photo

Canadian explorer. Chemist by training, biologist by nature. Long-time supporter and participant in National Novel Writing Month. Known as "Aquadeo" in most Internet circles. Also known as "that guy with the pants" to people who have seen me in certain pants.