24.4.11

Quickshots.

It's been eight days since my last post, so here you go: eight things to make up for it!

  1. Apparently, Seattle has its own league of superheroes, led by one Phoenix Jones.

  2. If Seattle has a Superman, then Vancouver has a Mr. Mxyzptlk: namely, the incomparable Nardwuar the Human Serviette. (Incomparable, that is, to beings within this dimension. Comparisons to Mr. Mxyzptlk are wholly appropriate.)

  3. Apparently, Sun TV is now operational in Canada. I haven't seen any of its programming yet, but I will say this: Ezra Levant (star of one of their hour-long shows) is the sort of guy that enjoys being almost-but-not-quite insulting, so that he can say it's your fault if you're insulted, and thus positionhimself as a champion of free speech.

    I guess that means it's my fault I once threw a copy of his magazine across the store where I was reading it, because I "insulted myself" so very greatly. Fair enough -- I can live with that. I can also live without watching a cable news network that makes its money by fear-mongering and pandering to those on the furthest end of the political spectrum, while accusing publicly-funded broadcasters of being the ones with an agenda.

  4. Back to happier news: just look at this guy's artwork. It's a veritable Thunderdome of Awesome™.

  5. I've been offered a small role in our Shakespeare Festival's production of Hamlet, as well. Specifically, acting as one of the actors in the play within a play. That's all well and good... but the director also warned me in advance that I'll be asked to go shirtless.

    And now you've been warned in advance, too.

  6. I had woken up early on the guest couch at my friend's place in Olympia, and with nothing else to do, I read through this book on the coffee table. It was full of what I call "Pigman stories": the sort that ask you how to relate to an object, and then you're told what the metaphorical meaning of that object was, e.g. after describing a sword, you're told that you were subconsciously describing your self-esteem.

    I think I might have woken them up with my laughter when I learned that, according to the book, when I met Death I would be likely to say: "Finally, just the two of us. Let's get to work then, shall we?"

  7. Mouseland is a story told by Tommy Douglas, and this video contains not only the story itself, but an introduction by his grandson, Kiefer Sutherland. Now, this was produced before Kiefer became an A-list superstar (as the Commodore Amiga-era graphics attest), but it's a rare instance of celebrity endorsement in Canadian politics. And even if you don't agree with the New Democratic Party, it's still a compelling argument for a diverse range of options at the ballot box: namely, that it makes it harder for any one party to base a strategy upon attacks and ultimatums. I can't argue with that.

  8. I know I mentioned this on Facebook, but it bears repeating: how on earth did Flin Flon, Manitoba get photographed by Google Streetview? I mean, didn't the team at Google Maps look at... well, a map? Well, no matter. Good for Google, and good for Flin Flon. Everybody wins here!

    (Including me, because now I have another road trip destination to plan out.)

No comments: