24.4.11

Quickshots.

It's been eight days since my last post, so here you go: eight things to make up for it!

  1. Apparently, Seattle has its own league of superheroes, led by one Phoenix Jones.

  2. If Seattle has a Superman, then Vancouver has a Mr. Mxyzptlk: namely, the incomparable Nardwuar the Human Serviette. (Incomparable, that is, to beings within this dimension. Comparisons to Mr. Mxyzptlk are wholly appropriate.)

  3. Apparently, Sun TV is now operational in Canada. I haven't seen any of its programming yet, but I will say this: Ezra Levant (star of one of their hour-long shows) is the sort of guy that enjoys being almost-but-not-quite insulting, so that he can say it's your fault if you're insulted, and thus positionhimself as a champion of free speech.

    I guess that means it's my fault I once threw a copy of his magazine across the store where I was reading it, because I "insulted myself" so very greatly. Fair enough -- I can live with that. I can also live without watching a cable news network that makes its money by fear-mongering and pandering to those on the furthest end of the political spectrum, while accusing publicly-funded broadcasters of being the ones with an agenda.

  4. Back to happier news: just look at this guy's artwork. It's a veritable Thunderdome of Awesome™.

  5. I've been offered a small role in our Shakespeare Festival's production of Hamlet, as well. Specifically, acting as one of the actors in the play within a play. That's all well and good... but the director also warned me in advance that I'll be asked to go shirtless.

    And now you've been warned in advance, too.

  6. I had woken up early on the guest couch at my friend's place in Olympia, and with nothing else to do, I read through this book on the coffee table. It was full of what I call "Pigman stories": the sort that ask you how to relate to an object, and then you're told what the metaphorical meaning of that object was, e.g. after describing a sword, you're told that you were subconsciously describing your self-esteem.

    I think I might have woken them up with my laughter when I learned that, according to the book, when I met Death I would be likely to say: "Finally, just the two of us. Let's get to work then, shall we?"

  7. Mouseland is a story told by Tommy Douglas, and this video contains not only the story itself, but an introduction by his grandson, Kiefer Sutherland. Now, this was produced before Kiefer became an A-list superstar (as the Commodore Amiga-era graphics attest), but it's a rare instance of celebrity endorsement in Canadian politics. And even if you don't agree with the New Democratic Party, it's still a compelling argument for a diverse range of options at the ballot box: namely, that it makes it harder for any one party to base a strategy upon attacks and ultimatums. I can't argue with that.

  8. I know I mentioned this on Facebook, but it bears repeating: how on earth did Flin Flon, Manitoba get photographed by Google Streetview? I mean, didn't the team at Google Maps look at... well, a map? Well, no matter. Good for Google, and good for Flin Flon. Everybody wins here!

    (Including me, because now I have another road trip destination to plan out.)

No comments:

About The Author

My photo

Canadian explorer. Chemist by training, biologist by nature. Long-time supporter and participant in National Novel Writing Month. Known as "Aquadeo" in most Internet circles. Also known as "that guy with the pants" to people who have seen me in certain pants.