7.11.08

NaNoWriMo update: My Favourite Editor.

Well, I started off with a bang for NaNoWriMo this year -- 10,000 words in the first weekend.

The story was about twelve people that traveled across Canada. So, the first chapter was about the person from B.C., the second chapter was about the person from Alberta, and by the time I got to Saskatchewan, I was struggling to get the words across. My characters were struggling to find interesting things to do. They seemed trapped at a rest stop on the Trans-Canada, unable to do anything but talk about coffee. That wasn't what I wanted -- what I wanted was to write about the songs of walruses and unquestionable dominance of the polar bear. I want to write about high-kicking seals, about towns populated only by sled dogs, and about hunting trips that don't require any preparation beyond flour and ammo.

So, I'm going to write about it. Goodbye, original storyline! Hello, drastic swerve into interesting material!

It might seem a bit capricious and, well, amateur to switch gears halfway through. But NaNoWriMo's all about your self-discovery as an amateur writer, and that's exactly what this is. Besides, I'll still be incorporating my first three chapters -- it's just that these will be the only characters. I'm just editing out the chaff before I write it, that's all. I'm looking forward to this weekend of writing more than ever, now.

And on a completely unrelated note: Guitar Hero may make you feel like you're playing at a sports stadium. But Wii Music makes you feel like you're playing at the Muppet Theatre. There's something to be said for that.

No comments: