5.2.08

I miss Lucifer Pepsi. Now *that* was a name.

If there's one thing I dislike about scientific work, it's the fact that the samples:

a) are all similar,
b) have to be organised, and
c) don't lend themselves to creativity.

Now, I can understand the logic behind not naming a sample of pond water "Skippy Periwinkle". But this violates logic of a different sort:

C:\Program Files\Applications\Program\Data\Archives\LC\Samples\08\02\05\080205\080205-01.

Yes, yes, yes. It's the first sample of 05 Feb, 2008. I GET IT, already. Never mind the fact that if you actually open up the data, the date is recorded in the instrument parameters. Never mind the fact that if you view the file properties in Windows, you'll see that it was created on 05 Feb, 2008.

This isn't just the Greenhouse, either -- it's endemic to most laboratories in some form or another. I've been living with this well-organised mess for the last ten years, and it's never going to get any better until I own a lab of my own.

At which point, I'm going to rename the entire calendar, out of sheer spite.

No comments: